Full membership of the Association can be achieved by any one of the three following routes:
1 Completion of MAET Training Programme
Any person who has undertaken and completed the Medical Artists’ Education Trust (MAET) Postgraduate Programme in Medical Art and successfully passed their final assessment as examined by the Examination Board of the Medical Artists' Education Trust.
2 Completion of approved MSc at The University Of Dundee
Any person who has undertaken and completed a programme of training at the University of Dundee MSc in Medical Art or Forensics and successfully passed their final assessment as examined by the Examination Board of the Medical Artists' Education Trust.
3 Professional Entry
This method of entry to the Association is open to any practising medical artist who has not undertaken a formal training programme in medical art and for whatever reason has not previously applied for membership of the Association.
The applicant must fulfil the following:
- 5 years working as a professional medical artist either within a hospital or university environment, or as a self-employed freelance medical artist, or both.
- The artwork should serve the requirements of education within the specialised area of medicine and should not include personal subjective art.
- Submit a portfolio of at least 20 pieces of work which have been executed within the preceding 3 years, 10 of which have been professionally commissioned within the field of activity.
Benefits of Gaining Professional Entry
- The Association’s Diploma of Membership
- The right to place MMAA after your name so long as you remain a member of the Association
- Full voting rights
- Display of your work on the Association’s website
How to apply for Professional Entry
A guide to the expected standard of work can be taken from the members’ work on the MAA website.
Please supply the following with your application and email it to Anne Wadmore, Honorary Secretary of the MAA on email@example.com
- A current CV
- A covering letter outlining your reasons for submitting your application, and any other information which may be useful to know.
This information will be considered by the full Council of the Association.
What happens next
Should your application progress to the next stage, it will be forwarded to the Examination Board of the Medical Artists’ Education Trust - MAET with a recommendation for interview.
A fee of £90 is payable prior to interview.
When you are invited for interview, you shall bring your portfolio as specified, and any additional published material which helps to support your submission.
The Examination Board will decide whether your application is suitable for this form of entry to the MAA, and its decision is final.